MAY 24, 2021
More than half of Brits want to hear less from Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, exclusive polling for Newsweek reveals.
A total of 54 percent said they would prefer to hear less about the couple compared to 18 percent who wanted to hear more and 19 percent who said they wanted to hear about the same amount.
Among 18-24 year olds, 46 percent wanted to hear more from the couple compared to 19 percent who wished to hear less.
In the 35-44 age group, only 12 percent wanted to hear more and 56 percent wanted to hear less.
And 11 percent of the over-65s said they wanted to hear more from the duke and duchess while 71 percent wished to know less.
Also, 39 percent said they disapprove of Prince Harry speaking publicly about his royal upbringing, compared to 36 percent who approve.
This polling comes after bombshell interviews by the couple criticizing the royal family, including allegations an unnamed royal expressed concern their unborn baby’s skin would be “too dark.”
In the first, on March 7 with Oprah Winfrey for CBS, Prince Harry said his family cut him off financially and Prince Charles stopped taking his calls while he was trying to negotiate an end to his royal duties.
In the second, the prince appeared by himself on the Armchair Expert podcast and spoke of the “genetic pain” he experienced as a result of his upbringing.
Redfield & Wilton surveyed 1,500 adults online on Wednesday on behalf of Newsweek to collect the data, which had a margin of error of 2.53 percent.
Exactly half of those surveyed last week said the couple should lose all royal titles, compared to 31 percent who did not.
Harry was stripped of his honorary military titles by the royal family in February and, together with Meghan, they lost a series of patronages and appointments.
However, they retained the titles of Duke and Duchess of Sussex, which they were given when they got married, as well as the titles of Prince and Princess Henry of Wales.
They are also still His and Her Royal Highness, though they have agreed not to style themselves that way since quitting royal life.
Two days after the polling done for Newsweek, Prince Harry appeared again on a documentary series filmed with Oprah Winfrey, The Me You Can’t See.
He told the Apple TV series his family responded with “total silence or total neglect” when he asked for help dealing with the media.
Harry said: “It went to a whole new depth with not just traditional media but also social media platforms as well. I felt completely helpless.
“I thought my family would help but every single ask, request, warning, whatever it is, got met with total silence or total neglect.
“We spent four years trying to make it work. We did everything that we possibly could to stay there and carry on doing the role and doing the job, but Meghan was struggling.”