Bollywood star and KKR owner Shah Rukh Khan gets five-year ban from Wankhede

0
210

May 18, 2012

The Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) has banned Shah Rukh Khan, the Kolkata Knight Riders owner, from entering Wankhede Stadium for five years as a result of his scuffle with security guards after the game between Knight Riders and Mumbai Indians on May 16.

Shah Rukh Khan and security officials in an argument at the Wankhede Stadium

May 18, 2012

The Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) has banned Shah Rukh Khan, the Kolkata Knight Riders owner, from entering Wankhede Stadium for five years as a result of his scuffle with security guards after the game between Knight Riders and Mumbai Indians on May 16.

Shah Rukh Khan and security officials in an argument at the Wankhede Stadium

The IPL chairman Rajiv Shukla, however, said the ban was not final until the BCCI had its say on the matter.

"The MCA managing committee is forced to ban Shah Rukh Khan from entering Wankhede Stadium for a period of five years," Vilasrao Deshmukh, the MCA president, said in Mumbai. "It was a unanimous decision. It applies to any match whether domestic or international at the Wankhede. We have taken a decision to protect the dignity of our association. BCCI is our parent body and we have written to them informing what had happened. We have no control over BCCI's decision. We are also an independent body with the Wankhede being our property.

"If rules are violated, action will be taken. It does not depend who the individual is. It's a message to everyone, whosoever he or she may be, that stern action will be taken if there is any misbehavior. How can he go inside the ground without proper accreditation? Even I can't go inside the ground if not invited for presentation ceremony."

Shukla said only the Indian board could make the final decision. "State bodies can only recommend but a final decision has to be taken by the BCCI. When the matter comes to BCCI, the board will decide [on the ban]."

The incident took place after Knight Riders had beaten Mumbai Indians. Shah Rukh was accused of trying to walk on to the field of play after the game and MCA officials lodged a complaint against him with the Marine Drive police station. They also said he had been drunk and abused officials.

Shah Rukh, however, denied being drunk and said he was reacting to the "obnoxious" and "unpardonable" behavior of officials at the stadium. He said he had not been present at the match but had gone there after it was over to pick up a large group of his children and their friends. Shah Rukh said he saw security guards manhandling the children and when he objected a group of officials came over and the altercation started.


Courtesy: cricinfo